I have been working with the air lift system version in a workshop for the community at a local library here in Denver as a collaboration between Denver Public Library, Denver Urban Gardens and Artstreet. Byers Branch Library provided the funding for 11 people to build and bring home a windowfarm.(Amazing!)
We made a few alterations to the original design & so far it’s working just fine. Instead of using an air pump and the air needles (I tried this way too but had a hard time getting enough power to get the water to the top) we used submersible pumps. The challenge here was having to get a powerful enough pump to raise the water 3-5’ that isn’t too powerful. We used the Active Aqua 160 gallons/hour. This pumps far more water than you need so in order to slow the flow down a bit we clamped the hose (not too much to make the motor mad).
Another small adaptation we made was recycling old 2-4″ bedding pots instead of the official hydroponic net pots. We used hole punchers and utility knives to make the holes.
The people who attended the workshop were thrilled about this design and vision & the whole workshop was a blast. We built community while building window farms.
Artstreet makes a window farm for their classroom with students' help.
Getting ready to cut
This mother and daughter team build together using a potpourri of recycled jugs
Thank you for all your great research, ideas and collaborative spirit!