I needed a design that was reasonably easy to take apart and pack up into boxes. I’m a grad student, so moving apartments is something that is likely to happen a lot over the course of my program. I created this before I moved to school and it made it with me to my new home quite well, so it seems promising.
I wanted to use the 2.0 version of the garden because I didn’t want to worry about asking landlords if it’d be alright for me to put holes in the wall. That being said, I also wanted to have more than three plants and so I created a skeleton rod structure out of PVC that has a spot for three plants on each side. Paired with a four outlet pump this allows for a double the plants of the original design. The PVC should stand stable because of the large water containers they’ll be tethered to.
I was looking for things to create net cups out of, when it occurred to me that if one cuts the bottle in half and punches holes in the bottom, it creates a net cup that fits perfectly inside. This means that the water is a bit less protected by the walls of the plastic bottles and so the tubing must carefully reach down exactly to the level of the next plant. On the other hand, this provides a lot more room for the plant to grow outwards because it is not confined to a small window space. You win some, you lose some. (Also, 1.5L bottles were quite difficult to find, so I went with 2L bottles which are incredibly easy to find.)
I didn’t have much success with getting spray paint to stay on the bottles, so I crocheted little cozys instead. These are simple with a bit of crochet experience, single crochet and decrease stitches as you get to the base.
The next thing I tried to do, and the thing that I am most concerned about, was to attach tubing to the ends of lids. I tried doing this via using hot glue, but one of these broke off when I moved making them seem potentially unstable. I was wondering if other people who attached their tubing to the lids could give me some advice on how to get this to work. It’s pretty important for this design since there are no plastic walls protecting the system if the water doesn’t go where I want it!
Putting it all together, it looks something like this:
The last feature I’m pretty proud of about my design is the lighting structure. There is a hole in the PVC above each pair of plants for a small light to feed the plants. The cords from these lights can travel through the PVC and exit through the side of the lowest PVC, minimizing the chance of water/electrical overlap and keeping the system safer.
Thanks for reading! I look forward to your input. :)