8:05 pm in Being a good member of this community, Completed Window Farms, Curriculum Proposals, Education, energy consumption, environmental impact, Featured Post, Getting Started, Help the project by testing this, International, made from scratch (without a kit), Materials and Resources, Nutrients, Nutrition, Other Cool Urban Ag. Stuff, our mission, Outside Farms, Plants, posts with pitcures!, Projects in Process, pumps, questions, R&D-I-Y, Seeking Advice, Version 1.0 Reservoir System, Version 2.0 airlift system, Version 3.0 Modular Airlift Columns, Water flow by Michael Van Varenberg
The Flemish Windowfarm Project.
Hi Everyone, maybe it is best that i introduce myself before commencing with the project and my R&DIY.
I am a guy that is self-educated, i have no college degrees, but i now a lot about everything but not everything. Everyone in my family, including my father were engineers but my father died years ago and i don’t have contact with other members of the family. Everything i know about gardening i learned from both my grandfathers and the rest i learned through surfing the net and reading. I am not perfect, far from to be exact, but i am a team player. I am 36 years old an disabled so i have lots of time on my hands for researching and building my projects myself. In Aqua or Hydroponics my interests lie in different fields such as Windowfarming, Backyard Hydroponics using IBC containers and indoor growing.
I am allso an electronics guy so when my project’s hardware is running flawless i tend to automate it all through my favourite microprocessor, the arduino. Off course i have a network of people that are interested in the same things. I live in the Flemish part of Belgium so most of my growing outdoors stops in wintertime. Windowfarming is one of the projects i hope to build for indoor use.
A couple of months ago i started with the windowfarming project. I first researched and developed it all on paper. Since a month i am building from scratch with recycled materials, needless to say is i want my project to be as “green” as possible.
My setup is now two columns of four bottles with an old drink cooler as reservoir. I have a loop going in the container, water is drawn through a needle for inflating footballs. The only problem is when the airpump shuts off, air blows through the needle, but i’m tinkering with it as we speak…
I’m cleaning an old trashcan in wich i’m going to drill a hole in the bottom and then add air throug a T-joint in the tube, maybe the water pressure at the bottom of the container will simplify things and resolve the problem with the inflation needle wich i will not have to use in this configuration.
This adaption works like a charm. It has been working for the whole day now. Tomorrow i will hook up another two rows of four bottles…
I’m allso warming the water with an aquarium heater, i have a circulation pump to keep the nutrient solution mixed really well and an aeration pump for adding oxygen in the water. I allso plan to release co2 in the water.