I’ve finally converted my window farm from an inflation needle system to a t-valve system. I stopped using the inflation needle system because I found it to be too unreliable.
Using two valves: t-valve feeds in air to lift system, the blue check valve prevents water slipping into air pump. I also made sure all tubing dips down to help with water management.
The water tube is sealed to the sports water cap using two plastic o-rings (#6, 7/16″ OD x 5/16″ ID x 1/16″) over 3/16″ ID silicone tubing. There is an o-ring inside the cap and one outside and both are held in place with sealant. Getting this to be water tight was difficult. I ended up doing 2-3 applications of sealant, letting the sealant dry for at least 24+ hours between applications.
Now if I could just get the plumbing to behave better, everything would be perfect. I’m having a lot of problems with either the system spitting/water rate too high for plants or no water coming out at all. Either the air pump is too high or doesn’t work at all. I’m considering getting rid of my double air pump in favor of two single air pumps for greater control of water flow.