My wife and I started our Windowfarm project about 4 months ago. We live in Manhattan, have great, sunny, south-facing windows, and thought this would be perfect.
By and large, we’ve had a good experience with good results, no real harvest to speak of, but steady, satisfying growth. Sure we had a one instance where I got too aggressive with the nutrients. (We had been using — with great success, I might add — 5ml of each FloraMicro, FloraGro, and FloraBloom in 1 gallon of water. I was getting tired of people asking about when our “hydraulic” farm was going to produce some fruit, something they could enjoy. Hell, I’d offer them a spicy leaf of watercress or a nice spear of chive, wasn’t that enough? Anyway, my machismo got the better of me, and so I mixed up what the label implied would promote “aggressive vegetative growth” — 15ml FloraGro, 10mL FloraMirco, and 5mL FloraBloom. Within the next few days, we were in the midst of plant-mageddon. When all was said and done, we lost an entire pot of watercress and one pepper plant and set the other crops back a good bit. The solution turned out to be flushing the system with nothing but water for the next month while the plants recovered.)
Anyway, our real problem is overflow… or really that the risk of overflow outweighs the benefits of having the WindowFarm. About a month ago, my wife and I came home from work to find water pooled on top of the built-in shelf where our 2 column system sits. After a frantic investigation, the problem turned out to be caused by my refilling the reservoir that morning without realizing that the roots from our tomato plants were clogging up the outlet hole. I solved the problem by trimming back the roots (which didn’t seems to affect the plant at all), and then on out we were more mindful of the flow through the pots. But the other night it happened again, and this time the water spilled into our heating and air conditioning unit causing an expensive problems.
So, basically, this morning we decided it’s been a fun experiment, but it’s not worth it. This is why we’re looking to sell the system — say $100 or best offer. I’m talking everything here — the towers, the pump, the time, the clay pellets, the little pH strips (I think I checked the water’s pH once), nearly full bottle of FloraGro/Bloom/Micro nutrients, everything.
Privately message me if your interested.