I’ve been running a small indoor 6 plant windowfarm for a month or so, and it seems to be working… so today I built an outdoor 16 pot setup.
Each vertical group has its own reservoir, which allows me to have 4 different mixes of nutrients if I need to. It only takes a minute to drain them, so changing the nutrients x 4 won’t be too much of a pain.
Each plant sits inside a pot inside a pot inside a pot … It’s a bit convoluted, but it works. The top pot contains the plant and hydroton, second pot (which is actually a plastic tumbler) holds the roots and about 2mm of nutrient, 3rd pot is attached to the chain/string. The reason I did this was so that I could move plants around by lifting out the top pot – from inside to outside, and to a different nutrient stream if required.
I’m waiting for some indoor plants to toughen up before putting them outside, so only 8/16 pots are in use.
The reservoirs are sports bottles that I got for free, and even though they only hold about 500ml, they seem to be working. Not sure how they’ll go in the middle on an Australian summer though. I’ve wrapped them in silver to stop them getting too warm, and to keep out any light.
My indoor windowfarm: