6:22 pm in Being a good member of this community, Completed Window Farms, Help the project by testing this, made from scratch (without a kit), posts with pitcures!, R&D-I-Y, Uncategorized, Water flow by Sylvia Woerner
Until my leg is better I am using soil in my window farm. My problem became painful and I put the fish tank out of comission till the leg is better. I promised this pic long ago and my son helped me figure out how to get it on the site here.
I purchased the plants in early summer when they were growing in small pots, at a local nursery. They were growing very well. The soil uses a lot more water than my previous aquaponic setup with expanded clay pellets in them. The fish tank water cycled up into the air lift tubes and then down through the solo cups, dripping into the fish tank. The plants are low enough in the window so that I can water them easily. I warer the pots like I would an ordinary house plant sitting in my window. I put holes in the bottom of the red poastic cups just like ordinary terracotta pots. With the experience I am getting and seeing the new window farms going up It will be easier to place my fish tank back in place. Sharing your successes and failures both is a tremendous help to me. Thanks to all of you who have contributed. Sylvia Woerner Manchester Indiana USA.