I have just completed my window farm (located in Croatia, capital town Zagreb). This wf is made completly using custom new parts:
- pump with 4 strong outlets (from ebay)
- plastic pots from local hardware store
- chain as suspension
- standard tubes
- connector for tubing is made from baby food (hipp) and fixed using hot glue
As I could not find net pots anywhere in Croatia, I used regular pots and filled them with clay pellets. For now it’s working great. As I’m experimenting for now, as nutrients I am using natural fertilizer for vegetables (based on some kind of algae from sea). Instructions said to put 15ml of fertilizer on 1L of water, so this was a starting point for my experiment, and I will see how it goes from there. I’m planning to replace water and add new nutrients every 7 days for a start.
Pump is pumping for 30 minutes, and then 30 min. pause, 24/7.
There is some more work to do to finish my WF setup:
- add one more pot to fill in the space
- add cap to bottom reservoir or add another pot to be submerged in nutrients and serve as cap for reservoir
- add low water sensor (i managed to find old part from my old car, that will serve for this purpose)
Oh and I am growing tomatoes and peppers
As I am using only one of four available outlets on pump, I’m planing to expand on three more columns.