My plants are doing reasonably well, considering I haven’t really had any time to mainain them. Until this weekend, refilling the reservoirs is about the extent of the care my little windowfarm was getting. I’m up to three columns now – two done using plastic cups and greek yogurt containers, and one using Deer Park bottles and net cups. So far, I’m finding my version to be a little easier to maintain and slightly more attractive. Very slightly. There are a few more photos of individual plants over on my blog.
My upside-down Deer Park bottles were leaking a bit, and looked a bit worse for the wear, so I put together new reservoirs using soda bottles (which are thicker plastic), and added a nice coupling on the top for me to attach the water return lines. Previously I’d just shoved the water return lines through a hole I stabbed in the bottom of the inverted water bottle.
A few other people were having trouble preventing the air from bubbling back into the reservoir, so I made a diagram of my set-up and included a few numbers for reference. The full write-up can be seen on my primary blog, but the cliffs notes version is that I’ve got a 1 liter bottle, suspended about 6″ above the t-joint, connected by a 5 foot long piece of clear 1/4″ tubing which is coiled at the bottom of the container it all sits in.
I do still get air bubbling back when the pump first turns on, but it corrects itself in about a minute.