Here is a recent photo. All of the components are together and working well finally.
It’s powered with an 8 outlet air pump (I’m only using 6).
Here is my spin in the basic window farm design, with additional lighting added due to the lack of sunny days in Portland Oregon this time of year.
The water/nutrient source is from an already established planted aquarium that is also my coffee table.
I’ll be adding 4 more columns, 2 in each of the side windows. The water supply line is extra high above the pots to allow room for additional pots later. The completed system allows for 24-30 pots.
I used alligator clips with S hooks to hang the pots. I went with white nylon cord to match the white pots. The cord can be found at general Walmart type stores for really cheap, it’s more expensive at hardware stores.
I went with an open pot design for aesthetic reasons. I shopped around for something better looking than bottles, but I couldn’t find anything I liked that wasn’t overly expensive. To take care of the splashing issue of water dropping from pot to pot, I added air tubing to guide the water flow. This also allows me to place seedlings in the center of the pot, and place the water outlet to the side, to keep the seedlings from getting beaten up from the impact of the dripping water.
For an extra kick of light during the fall/winter session I added a T5 florescent light. To keep the light from lighting up my entire place, I added a reflector to direct the light out sideways which also pushes more light towards the plants. Using 2 elbow brackets, and a piece of roof flashing from the hardware store, it was easy to put together. I’m going to spray paint the reflector with white primer to match the rest of the design.
More info coming soon….