10:25 am in Completed Window Farms, Featured Post, How-Tos, made from scratch (without a kit), Materials and Resources, Other Cool Urban Ag. Stuff, Plants, posts with pitcures!, Projects in Process, R&D-I-Y, Water flow, Windowfarms Project News by Ken
Hello from cccoollld Tokyo!
It’s been a couple of weeks since I built my first double-column hanging windowfarm design, and so far it’s been very solid. Good water flow and stable system. My plants are doing great! (except for my strawberry plant. Any advice on that?)
I wanted to improve on my original design, as having things look good as well as function really well is important to me, so here’s my newer and improved design. (the one on the left is the new one, no holes cut in the buckets yet.)
The fifth blue bucket on the right side column is now the water reservoir, which I think looks better than a bottle at the bottom.
It looks very similar to my v.1 model, but the functions are quite different, although it still uses the basic airlift system. I ended up replacing the clear tubing with acrylic clear pipe, as it just looks much better and is easier to clean.
In the above picture of the old/new designs, you can see that there is a T at the top of the tube. This is because I reduced it down to one airlift which splits at the top.
Turns out that the distribution of left and right for the water coming up is directly proportionate to the amount of tubing there is left after the T, so cutting them to the same length gives an even flow between the two sides.
You can also see that there is much less tubing hanging below the water reservoir, which looks less cluttered.
Here are the improvements that v.2 has over v.1
- Looks better (IMHO)
- Reduced the piping/tubing needed by 50%.
- Still get the same amount of water flow to the plants.
- Cleaning the tubes just got twice as easy!