waterlift experimentation/phillip

1:10 pm in Getting Started, Help the project by testing this, How-Tos, made from scratch (without a kit), Materials and Resources, Projects in Process, pumps, Uncategorized, Water flow by Phillip A Faugno

Greetings all.

 

Just as I; I am sure many of you have had problems getting your setup up an running reliably.

I have done some testing with various types of tubing, pump settings, reservoir setups etc.

I attempted a type of pump set up called a “geyser hybrid” which is in my opinion a waterlift with a little more complexity.

 

                                                                                                                                                              I had some trouble getting this setup to work at all.Maybe with a little more head pressure it would but the end result I was trying to get was more water movement with less air.

Next I attempted the setup with the needles.This works but I am worried about the jury rigged connection at the needle juncture and it proved to be no more effective than replacing the needle with a “T” connector.

It seems to me the point of the needle”no pun intended” is to insert the air further up into the column of water and to reduce the chance that the air may back up and bubble into the reservoir.

As stated in some other articles and online at sites like U tube.Th more head pressure the better the result.Air has a springy quality and when you have sufficient head pressure you can sometimes see air backing up into the inlet tube but it slows and returns the the junction and feeds the output line.

I used a two liter bottle with a fitting in the lid and the bottom cut off.a short section of head(feed)tube.about a foot worth.

A “T” junction. and a discharge tube to the height of about 6 feet.All tubing is semi rigid.i think this works better as some energy can be lost to flexing.My “T” junction I may add was a 1/4 outside dia fitting with a short length of tubing attached to feed and discharge sides to enlarge it to the size of my rigid tubing.the air line is just the standard size purchased at pet stores.

I placed my reservoir at a height of about 18 inches above the floor.or that is with my water starting surface level at 18 inches above ground.This gives a head of 18 inches but I find I don’t need that full head space.It just works better.I may be able to eliminate this with a larger reservoir say maybe a 5 gallon bucket with a fitting in the bottom. In my tests putting the tubing into the reservoir like a dip tube is troublesome and unreliable.

In my future setup I am going to attempt to use compression fittings that snap on and off with ease and fit on the outside of the tubing to make use of the full diameter of the inside of the tubing.and since I am planning on using a larger reservoir I may fit a charcoal filter to keep water from stagnating.

I may add that I am planning on using this to water my orchids and I am concerned about stagnation.

More later….please feel free to give me your input and experiences.

Bye for now.

Phillip

I am wondering now if a larger reservoir may eliminate the need for more head tube.