This system was built in less than a day and additionally:
- Combines aquarium aeration with the air pump.
- Pushes water up 202cm (6.6 feet) with a 1.5 litre/hour pump (I don’t think pump size matters at all here, this one cost R60, or about $8).
- Moves roughly 100-120ml in 6 hours (I think that’s how much I slept last night).
- (Accidental) varying dripping time.
- You can probably run many ‘percolators’ off one pump by splitting the air feed, or using a very long aeration stone.
- The system runs very quiet (The air pump makes more noise than the gurgling).
- The top 500ml bottle can be converted to a baffle or silencer quite easily.
- It may possibly even be converted to a non aquaponic pump?
- No pump-strain, T-junctions, valves or needles (or things that look like them, I’m a wuss, ok?)
Until I found window farms and ‘bubble pumps’, I had a set of daisy chained bottles hanging from the top of my window, with no idea how to get water circulating, or even how to integrate a fish tank properly. You all have done such amazing work that got me up and running in almost no time!
- Not sure how I’m going to build a filter (perhaps inside the aeration chamber?) [Update: see new percolator design below]
- What fish to get.
- What plants to plant.
- Getting time to do my actual job
Here’s a diagram of the system:
If anyone is interested, I’ll start on a how-to.
Updated perculator with filter (Jan 3 2012):