It’s only been 12 days since my last post, but things got a little more interesting this morning . http://our.windowfarms.org/2011/07/11/jalepeno-at-6-months-and-vacation-survival/
Big storms went through here overnight and we were awoken by our water sensor in the basement at 3am telling us we were taking in some water. Nothing major. Normally, I wouldn’t mention this type stuff, but it is such a strange coincedence that later in the morning one of the tubes between the levels on my window farm plugged up and I had a mini flood in my window. I hardly ever clean out the algea so shame on me. So, in cleaning up that mess looking closely at the plant I noticed that I had spider mites.
I was not completely surprized by this because last week I had noticed that my strawberry had mites. I dealt with mites on the strawberries last year. http://our.windowfarms.org/2010/08/01/strawberry-5-month-update-spidermites-other-bugs/ Last year I only sprayed the leaves off outside with a hose every few weeks and eventually they went away. This year though I have purchased some neem oil and soap. I gave the strawberries a good soaking last week. Today, I sprayed off the japaneno with the hose and then gave it a spray with the neem oil. So 11 days ago I had not noticed any thing and today they were all over it.
This is actually the first time I had the jalepeno out of the WF so I got a picture of the roots. I have noticed that some plant roots like to travel out of the net pot and other don’t. The jalapeno, strawberry and lettuce roots had been very content in staying put. Both the peas and beans tended to roam. http://our.windowfarms.org/2011/03/29/green-bean-roots/
So far I have been very happy with the jalapeno and it is producing well with at least one a week. A couple fell off while hosing it down today.
Enjoy the pictures!
P.S. I just made some jalapeno poppers out of these for lunch. Yum!