I just completed my first window farm and wanted to share my experience. Just as I decided to get one of these together, I had an assignment to create a video about the environmental subject of my choice, and this seemed to fit perfectly. Here’s what I came up with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fif-hNj47M. I used several images from this site, so if I used one of yours and you want it removed, then please let me know.
I was particularly impressed with Dave’s Manhattan Window Farm design (http://our.windowfarms.org/2011/01/07/my-manhattan-windowfarm/), and used it as a starting point. In the interest of simplicity and energy conservation I decided not to use lights or a pump, at least to start. I don’t live anywhere near a hydroponics supply store, and was unable to find nutrient solution, net cups, clay pellets, or rock wool. Instead I used Vigoro all purpose soluble plant food diluted for indoor plants, cheap plastic plant containers that I already had and a mixture of vermiculite and pebbles. I figured that the vermiculite would retain moisture better between manual waterings anyway. I wanted as large a space for roots as possible, so I used 2L soda bottles, which I regularly use. I could only find 2″ split ring hangers but they turned out to be just large enough to hold the neck of the bottles and keep them close (but not too close) to the shower curtain rod.
I bought some romaine, arugula, and red leaf lettuce from Lowe’s so I could include actual plants in the video, and for the instant gratification, but in the future I will be using seed, of which I have plenty, to start one with herbs and another one or two with things like beans and peppers. I waited too long for the first watering and I lost a few leaves because of that and damage sustained during transfer, but otherwise they’re looking good ten days in. Since, I have been watering with 2-4 cups of solution every 2-3 days. The red leaf is growing really well, while the romaine seems to be struggling a bit. The arugula is a little bigger, but has not changed much, although they have all grown.
Here are some pictures:
I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this project.
04.21.2011 Edit to add:
and unfortunately the arugula looks like it’s going to seed already