Here is what I did with my third window farm. http://our.windowfarms.org/2011/01/17/shower-curtain-rod-w2l-bottles/ The green beans are now at 8 weeks and I ate the first small batch yesterday for lunch. Alot more are on the way. The beans are in the middle spot. I have a jalepeno in the top spot that was planted a week earlier than the beans, but took 4 weeks to germinate, wereas the beans germinated in a matter of about 4 days. So the jalepeno is much smaller. I have found that any pepper plant takes long to germinate. The bottom spot I put in radishes as an experiment. That did not turn out so go and that I’ll document in another post.
The beans are 4 plants in one pot. At first they grew upward and were leaning on the glass, but eventually with the weight of the beans they slid down and are now hanging below the pot. They are now covering the lower pot completely. In retrospect, the beans would have work better lower in the WF and I don’t think I would do 4 in a pot again, maybe 2 at the most.
With this WF, I used declorinated tap water. I filled a bucket and let it sit out for a week. My other WFs have all been using rain water that I had stored over the winter. This one was out of luck since I did not save enough. As a matter of fact, just this last week and in the nick of time I set the rain barrel back up and now have rain water for all of them.
This WF has a 2 gallon resevoir and At first I was changing the nutrients out every 2 weeks. But as they were growing larger, a few of the older leaves would turn yellow and die in a matter of a few days. I switched to once a week, but this really did not seem to help. Then I started checking the ph more often and noticed that it really was jumping up too high during the week, as in getting way above 7 in only a day or two. I want to keep it around 6 and am now checking and adjusting it a few times a week. Now that I can use the rain water I am hoping the ph creep will not be as bad. I will also try and stretch the change over back to two weeks.
Another thing I was trying on this WF are root covers. I made them out of reused cottage cheese container covers. This has really cut down on the amout of algea growing on the top of the rockwool as compared to the other WFs without them.