With the recent holiday, I was finally able to do a little more work on mine and my parents’ farms. Coming up in January I will be moving into an apartment, and reinstated this farm to bring with me, with the hope that it will be producing or at least established by move-in time. The tower here is the one I will be taking, and is an inverted pyramid design (http://anuttahwindowfarm.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-newest-windowfarm.html). The major modifications that I have made to this to get it working again are related to the pumping mechanism. I removed the cork from inside of the bottle, replaced the needle, and reconstructed it with the check valve outside of the bottle. I then inserted the cork int the mouth of the bottle, rather than from inside the bottle. The function of all of this was to get the pump to work more efficiently and consistently. Previously the water would stop pumping if the water level dropped minimally, due to the height of the needle within the bottle. The needle lowered 3-4″, now it hardly needs any water to work. I also unclogged the T junction at the top which had built up algae causing a pump malfunction. And I covered the top (clear) bottles with black fabric to block out sunlight, and prevent algae growth. And a new innovation I thought of when working on my friend’s farm that isn’t pictured, but I added last minute was wrapping the holes on the drip ring with cotton fabric to prevent it from spraying off in every direction and causing water loss.
We had planted a boat load of seeds a couple of weeks ago, but unfortunately most of them didn’t sprout! So I filled my farm with what did sprout, and we will be planting some more soon to fill out my parents farm.
Here are some pictures:
My two peas (in front), and two eggplant (in back).
The left bottle is full of hydroton, but no plants due to the upcoming move.
The new neck set-up