Here we are at 5 months since building my window farm and want to give a general update. Strawberries are growing well and have been flowering and fruiting. The plants are growing in rockwell cubes and lately I have the airpump timer running three times a day for about 3hours at a time. The rockwool holds alot of moisture. I have a small fan that runs when the airpump runs to help with pollination. I had tried hand pollinating for awhile, but I do not want to spend the time.
This last month (July) I have been having bug problems and want to get peoples opinions on how to solve them. The first I believe are spidermites. I can see the little white bugs and the little webs on the leaves. All I have been doing to control them is to take the plants outside and hose the leaves and roots off. However, a few weeks later they are back.
The second are little white larvae like bugs (1-2 mm long) that I see floating in the resevoir and have seen them on the roots. The photo below shows them and am not sure if they are related to the mites. They apeared around the same time, but I think they are unrelated. Maybe they are coming in with the rain water I am using. I clean and refill the resevoir once a week and they still show up.
In one of the bottles, I had made a simple net cup out of a yogart cup with holes drilled in it. I think the cup is too small for the strawberries. The roots have grown out of the cup and circle in the bottle cap below.
In the other two bottles, I have regular net cups which are much larger than the yogart cup and the roots have never ventured beyond the cup itself.