So we had a little problem. Our strawberries died. I’m not sure what happened, but we could never make them happy. So after changing out the old plants with new ones and doing some changes, everything is growing well. We are growing mint, peppers, and nasturtiums.
Check out our last posting that shows the detailed explanation of how we put our farm together.
Now that we have had our window farm up and growing for a few months, here are some things we have learned.
Use net pots. We decided not to use net pots and had major clogging issues. The roots grew to the bottom of the bottles and bunched up creating water flow problems. Also, airflow could be restricted making your plants unhappy.
Control the dripping. By using short tubes to direct the drip from one bottle to the next, we are able to control what gets wet. The top of the strawberry plants hated getting wet and sometimes the drip was too far away from the other plants making them dry out. Now we control right where we want the drip to go.
Check for leaks. We had to refill our reservoir at least once a day. But after we used the short tubes to control the dripping we noticed we were using less water. Water was splashing out the sides. Also with the clogging water was getting stuck, using the net pots solved this. We now refill only about a half a cup a day.
And try not to get the clay pellets in your garbage disposal. It doesn’t like them.
Hope you like the pics!