Success!. Well, here we are at the 38th day after the transplant and I picked a couple of the berries off the middle plant and they tasted like strawberries. Amazing.
Most of the fruit is coming in normal looking, but there are a few that look deformed. I would attribute that to poor pollination. I have added a fan to assist in pollination.
The plant in the pot in the lower right corner is also a strawberry. I put it in the pot at the same time as I put the three in the WF to compare. I wouldn’t say it is growing any faster or slower than the others. The rest of the others plants down there are for the regular garden.
The resevoir for the main unit is a gallon Tupperware container that is sitting inside the tin snowman container. It looks nice and keeps the light out. The lid of the tin supports the WF. I can easily take the lid off the tin to be able to take the Tupperware container out and change the nutrients. The tin itself once held popcorn and I think it might have been a school fundraiser item. I originally thought to use the tin as the resevoir, but it is not water tight. It would rust anyway. The tin also has a small hole in it that I use to sample the water for taking ph readings. I have old assortment of baby/kid medicine droppers that I use to suck out the liquid. They also work good for measuring and adding the ph down acid solution when the ph needs adjustment.
I made a new WF unit which is sitting to the right of the tin. I’ll try some non fruiting plants this time around. It is single story unit for now and will expand up as I find more bottles. The bottom resevoir is a 1/2 gallon juice bottle. The air for the airlift pump comes from the same pump as the other unit. I had an air flow splitter from the girls old aquarium sitting around that you will see hanging from the 1/2 gal container. It has a couple of valves on it so that most of the air flow is going to the main unit and a little going to the single story unit. The tubing is sized for the taller unit and is wrapped around the bottle for now. The kids like to watch the bubbles race around before dropping in. I decided on a seperate resevoir for this one since the strawberries are on a “blooming” diet.
A few weeks after I started, my father-in-law who now lives in Florida said, “You should take the window screen out. It is blocking alot of light”. It was something I never thought of so I took it out. A screen can block 20% of the light or more. I wonder if this would be good advice for everyone since I see other pictures of units and I can see the screens. The other thing I do with the window is keep it clean. It is hard to tell when it is running, but over time it is spashing out of the bottles and onto the window getting it dirty.
I am really enjoying everyones posts,so keep taking lots of pictures! That’s all for now.